ADVANTAGES OF LISTING YOUR PRACTICE IN THIS DIRECTORY
POTENTIAL LIMITATIONS OF AN INTERNET DIRECTORY
- Your services and specialty areas can be listed in multiple ways for one low cost;
- You can provide a more detailed listing than traditional services or directories;
- Absolutely no computer experience or internet ability is needed to list; (we also provide practical and technical help in learning how to use your computer, connect to the internet and use e-mail and other internet services);
- You determine the most important information to provide to potential users;
- Communicate with potential clients from any geographic region;
- Examine what other practitioners provide in their services to maximize appropriate referral;
- Find other resources for professional support and client referral;
- Our Directory allows you to change, update, or modify your listing whenever needed; no waiting for the next issue;
- WEB site managers continually seek out additional ways to inform potential users of listing service;
- WEB site managers are knowledgeable about and supportive of helping people find appropriate services;
- WEB site managers are experts in WEB design, internet access, and computer assisted decision tools; and
Like chicken soup, there are no disadvantages to listing your service in this Directory. However, we want to separate ourselves from others who tend to oversell the benefits of the internet. We recognize some limitations associated with placing a Directory on the internet, but we also have some ideas about what to do about those limitations.
- Access to the internet requires ownership and knowledge of computer hardware and software. The majority of potential users of this Directory may not have the equipment or technical knowledge required. Solution: we will build on one of the most significant characteristics of people who do use the internet: they like to search out up-to-date information and education and pass on that information to friends, family, and business contacts.
- Internet users represent a small number (about 10 million people) of the total population and an even smaller number of those users are likely to think that they would need a Directory service. Solution: we will link this service to virtually every related service available on the internet and we will insure that this service is clearly identified by every internet search service. From the Financial Post July 23, 1996 (p. 5):
The number of Canadians surfing the Internet more than doubled last year, according to a new survey by Andersen Consulting (now known as Accenture). The study reveals 29% of Canadians have used the internet at least once in the past year, compared with 12% in 1994, with the majority using the Internet less than 10 hours per month. It also showed a variety of other new media on the Infobahn -- including the internet, electronic banking, online systems, interactive voice-response systems, interactive TV and electronic kiosks -- are being used by 70% of companies to deliver customer service and support, and by 40% to sell goods and services. Among the companies surveyed, 25% have a Website.
- Print advertising is likely to reach a larger potential user population. Solution: Our Directory is not a replacement for print media; it is a lower cost supplement or complement to print media. In addition we will provide a comprehensive organization of information that is not available in any print service and is beyond the budget of even the most sophisticated print media.
- Highly experienced practitioners may choose not to list on this service, either because they are too busy with present clients or they are satisfied with their present system for connecting with clients, thus limiting user knowledge of available practitioners. Solution: we will make this service easy to use and access, and we will also provide information and education options that will be valuable for the on-going education and knowledge of practitioners.
FEE STRUCTURE AND COSTS FOR PLACING A LISTING IN THIS DIRECTORY
There are no fees associated with accessing the information contained in this Directory.
CONDITIONS FOR EVERY DIRECTORY LISTING
- No offensive, objectionable, pornographic or illicit material can be placed on any page.
- No offers of services with potential outcomes that are illegal or violate human rights or dignity will be accepted.
- The WEBMASTERS reserve the right to edit material for brevity, clarity, or format standard.
- The WEBMASTERS reserve the right to determine the suitability of any listing, and can reject any listing that, in their opinion, does not match the quality, spirit and objectives of this service.
- Each listing person will be responsible for the accuracy of information provided and for submitting updated material as soon as available;
- Each listing person will guarantee that the information they provide for a listing is accurate and genuine, and represents a true and current description of the services provided;
- If a listing person has been convicted of criminal activity or has received disciplinary action by any professional or judicial body associated with providing services, a summary of such conviction or action must be stated in the application for listing (this will remain confidential);
- The listing person guarantees that the content of their listing does not violate any professional code of conduct, ethical principle, law, policy, or regulation governing their service area;
- Whenever possible the listing person will include as part of their listing any professional organizations, standards, or ethical principles they typically use or are associated with in their practice. (Beginning in May, 2000 persons listed must be members of a professional association primarily concerned with mentoring such as the Peer Resources Network, the International Mentoring Association, or the European Mentoring Association;) and
- If available, the listing person will provide the URL for a website that describes their services and their qualifications to provide such services. The URL provided may not contain links to possibly objectionable or offensive material or websites, and, if possible, the listing person's website should include a mutual link to the Mentor Directory at www.mentors.ca.
This Directory relies on the practitioners to submit the material in their listing. Each practitioner takes responsibility for the accuracy of their own listing. We make no representations as to the quality, reliability, or effectiveness of any service listing. Persons who have concerns about any listing are encouraged to contact Mentorship WEBMASTERS privately and in confidence.
The system is maintained by Mentorship WEBMASTERS.
To gain access to this service
Call in Victoria, British Columbia: 595-3503;
from anywhere else in Canada, call: 1-800-567-3700; or
fax: (250) 595-3504.
Apply for a Mentorship Directory Listing
Return to Mentorship Directory Page
Return to Peer Resources Main Index